- 3 cups flour (750 g)
- ½–1 tsp salt (2 ml)
- 3 tsps. baking powder, level (10 ml)
- 1 ½ tbsps. shortening (15 ml)
- 1 ½ cup water (375 ml)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Wash hands.
- Collect all equipment and ingredients.
- Sift flour in mixing bowl. Add baking powder and salt.
- Cut shortening into flour.
- Add water to make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead lightly on floured board.
- Cut into rounds. Let rest for 30 minutes or more.
- Flatten and cut each round in 1/4 pieces.
- Heat frying pan. Add shortening.
- Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Serve hot. Yields 15-18.
Godfrey, Erleen. Belizeans Favourite Foods Using the Food Groups. Belize City: Angelus Press Ltd, Print.